Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Project 3: Examples, Brief, etc.



For my project, I think I’m going to tackle a bike route map. When I saw it, I felt a little lost and immediately knew I wanted to change it. For me, the problem lies in the color choices–they’re too similar to the map itself! The bike route lines also don’t stand out from the rest of the map. I found myself constantly searching for clarity in it’s design. I also began to think about how bike riders might grow frustrated with it, especially as they were riding and trying to navigate. After noticing this, I decided I wanted to tackle the bike map route and relate it Iowa’s Bike Month, by combining it with a calendar outlining events and including fun, informational biker facts.








Before I even tackle re-designing this map, I decided to take a look at other map designs. This one, while it is for a subway system, is still a good example. The routes are clear, defined, and well color coded. They also utilize numbers, icons, etc. to get their point across. These are all aspects I hope to bring with my own map design.






































Project Brief (Subject to Change)

Objective
Create an informational bike route map/pamphlet/calendar promoting biking in the Des Moines area and the Des Moines Bike Collective’s annual bike month. Through this project I will develop a more coded and less confusing bike route map than the Des Moines Bike Collective’s current map. While there is a very informational map included, I will also design a calendar for the month of May, which is Iowa’s Bike Month, which will outline every Bike related area event. This map/calendar will also include pertinent bike and bike safety information for area bike riders.

The overall design and concept will be fresh, progressive and new. I hope to keep the map aspect of it small so that it could easily be brought along on bike rides.

Client
The client for this project will be the Des Moines Bike Collective.

Audience
The audience will be Des Moines area bikers, both new and old.

Requirements
There are no requirements for this project at this point.

Timeline

3/28
Narrow a focus and begin sketching ideas and ways in which the bike route map could be more efficient and clear.

4/2
Continue working on the bike route map so that is more clear. Begin transferring ideas onto the computer.

4/4
Begin the calendar aspect of the design and continue refining the map.

No comments:

Post a Comment